1.Name ：Chen, Kuan-Fu
2.Institution：Keelungchang gung memorial hospital / Chang gung university
3.Position：Physician scientist /Associate professor
4.Department：Emergency Medicine / Clinical Informatics and Medical Statistics Research Center
5.Address：No.5, Fusing St., Gueishan Dist, Taoyuan City 33302, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
6.Tel(GSM optional)/Fax： +886-3-3281200#3531
9.Focus of Interest：
Critical Care Medicine
Medical Technology, and Clinical Pathology
Public Health and Environmental Medicine
Mar 1, 2006-Aug, 2010 Visiting Research Fellow of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, contact person: Richard Rothman, email@example.com
Aug, 2004-Feb, 2006 Attending physician of Emergency Medicine in Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin Street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
Aug, 2003-July, 2004 Chief Resident of Emergency Medicine in Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
July, 2000-July, 2003 Residency of Emergency Medicine in Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
June, 1998-June, 2000 Internship in Chung-Shang Medical University Hospital, No 110, Sec 1, Chien-Kuo north road, Taichung, 402, Taiwan
July 7, 2006-Aug, 2010 PhD of Graduate Training Program of Clinical Investigation, Johns Hopkins University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan 1-Feb 28, 2000 Exchange student in University of Alabama at Birmingham
1530 3RD AVE S, BIRMINGHAM AL 35294-1150, USA, contact person: email@example.com
Sep, 1993-June, 2000 M.D. of Chung-Shang Medical University, No 110, Sec 1, Chien-Kuo north road, Taichung, 402, Taiwan
12.Honors and Awards：
July 2010 Outstanding Service Award, Advanced Specialty Training Program in Emergency Medicine Research, Department of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 2006-2010
Dec, 2002-now Member of Society of Emergency Medicine, Fu-Shin street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
July. 2000-now Membership of Taiwan Medical Association, Floor 9, No29, Sec.1, An-Huo Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Year 2003 Best Teaching Resident of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
May, 2002 Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians
Year 2002 Best Teaching Resident of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
Year 2000 Best Intern of Chung-Shang Medical University, No 110, Sec 1, Chien-Kuo north road, Taichung, 402, Taiwan
Sep, 1996-June, 1997 Vice president of Student Society & Student Society of Medical School in Chung-Shang Medical University No 110, Sec 1, Chien-Kuo north road, Taichung, 402, Taiwan
13.SelectedMain Publications（up to 5 ）：
Aug. 2013 Certificate for instructor of Emergency Ultrasonography, Taiwan, contact person: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan. 2004 Certificate for instructor of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Taiwan, contact person: email@example.com
Dec 2003 License of Specialty of Emergency Medicine, Department of Health, Executive Yuan, No 100, Ai-Kuo East road, Taipei, 100, Taiwan
Nov 2002 Certificate for Provider of Advanced Trauma Life Support, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin Street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
Nov 2001 Certificate for Provider Neonatal Advanced Life Support, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin Street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
Jan 2001 Certificate for Provider Advanced Pediatric Life Support, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin Street, Gueishan, Taoyuan, 333, Taiwan
Sep 2000 License of Physician, Department of Health, Executive Yuan, No 100, Ai-Kuo East road, Taipei, 100, Taiwan
Aug 2000 Certificate for Provider Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5, Fu-Shin Street, Gueishan, 333, Taoyuan, Taiwan
* Specimen core unit of community cohort study
* A phase III trial of BUN/Cr-based hydration therapy to reduce stroke-in-evolution and improve short-term functional outcomes for dehydrated patients with acute ischemic stroke
* Human Influenza Surveillance of Health Care Centers in the United States and Taiwan
* Characterizing mortality and morbidity of Community onset pneumonia and pneumonia-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in adults: correlation between host physiological parameters, pathogens and outcomes.
* Utilizing theory of machine learning and signal processing to incorporate physiological signals, assessment of sympathovagal imbalance, conventional and novel inflammation and immune biomarkers to develop and validate the clinical prediction models
1. Lin, CC; Chen, KF; Shih, CP; Seak, CJ; Hsu, KH. The prognostic factors of hypotension after rapid sequence intubation. Am J Emerg Med. 2008 Oct;26(8):845-51.
2. Chen, KF; Gaydos, CA; Rothman, RE. Update on emerging infections: news from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hospitalized patients with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection--California, April-May, 2009.Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Nov;54(5):732-6
3. Hsieh, YH; Chen, KF; Gaydos, CA; Rothman, RE; Kelen, GD. Antiviral Prescriptions to U.S. Ambulatory Care Visits with a Diagnosis of Influenza before and after High Level of Adamantane Resistance 2005–06 Season. PLoS One. 2010 Jan 28;5(1):e8945.
4. Chen KF. Evaluation of a potential novel biomarker & derivation of clinical prediction rules for severe influenza in emergency department patients. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University; 2010.
5. Chen, KF; Blyn, L; Rothman, RE; Ramachandran, P; Valsamakis, A; Ecker, D; Sampath, R; Gaydos, CA. RT-PCR and Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry (RT-PCR/ESI-MS) for Identifying Acute Viral Upper Respiratory Tract Infections. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease. 2011 Feb;69(2):179-86
6. Chen, KF; Rothman, RE; Ramachandran, P; Blyn, L; Sampath, R; Valsamakis, A; Gaydos, CA. Rapid Identification Viruses from Nasal Pharyngeal Aspirates in Acute Viral Respiratory Infections by RT-PCR and Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry (RT-PCR/ESI-MS). Journal of Virological Methods. 2011 Apr;173(1):60-6.
7. Shih, TY; Chen, KF (co-first author); Rothman, RE; Hsieh, YH. U.S. National Estimation of Emergency Department Utilization of Patients Given “HIV/AIDS related illness” as Their Primary Diagnosis. HIV Med. 2011 Jul;12(6):343-51.
8. Chen, KF; Colantuoni, E; Siddiqi F; Dinglas VD; Sepulveda KA; Fan E, Pronovost P; Needham DM. Repeated attempts using different strategies are important for timely contact with study participants. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2011 Oct;64(10):1144-51
9. Yu, JH; Weng, YM; Chen, KF (co-first author); Chen, SY; Lin, CC. Triage vital signs predict in-hospital mortality among emergency department patients with acute poisoning: a case control study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012 Aug 18;12:262.
10. Chiu, MT; Chen, CM*; Lin, CC; Li, CH; Chaou, CH; Chen, HY; Chen, KF. Evaluation of the association between postintubation hypotension and lidocaine administered as a premedication for rapid sequence intubation: A comparison between traditional regression methods and propensity score matching-based method. Journal of Acute Medicine, 2013 Feb; 33-38.
11. Chen, KF; Hsieh, YH; Gaydos, CA; Valsamakis, A; Rothman, RE. Derivation of a Clinical Prediction Rule to Predict Hospitalization for Influenza in Emergency Departments. Am J Emerg Med, 2013 Mar;31(3):529-34
12. Hsieh, YH; Kelen, GD; Duglas, AF; Chen, KF; Rothman, RE. Emergency Physician’s Adherence to Center for Disease Control and Prevention Guidance During the 2009 Influenza A H1N1 Pandemic. West J Emerg Med. 2013 Mar; 14(2):191-9.
13. Lynn JJ, Chen KF, Weng YM, Chiu TF. Risk factors associated with complications in patients with chemotherapy-induced febrile neutropenia in emergency department. Hematol Oncol. 2013 Dec; 31(4):189-96.
14. Schreiber MP, Colantuoni E, Bienvenu OJ, Neufeld KJ, Chen KF, Shanholtz C, Mendez-Tellez PA, Needham DM. Corticosteroids and transition to delirium in patients with acute lung injury. Crit Care Med. 2014 Jun;42(6):1480-6.
15. Brown, QL; Linton, SL; Harrell, PT; Mancha, BE; Alexandre, PK.; Chen, KF; Eaton, WW. The Influence of Religious Attendance on Smoking. Subst Use Misuse. 2014 Sep;49(11):1392-9.
16. Yeh, CF; Chen, KF; Ye, JJ; Huang, CT. Derivation of a clinical prediction rule for bloodstream infection mortality of patients visiting the emergency department based on predisposition, infection, response and organ dysfunction concept. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2014 Dec;47(6):469-77.
17. Tseng JC, Li CH, Chen KF, Chan YL, Chang SS, Wang FL, Chiu TF, Chen JC. Outcomes of an emergency department intensive care unit in a tertiary medical center in Taiwan: An observational study. J Crit Care. 2015 Jun;30(3):444-8.
18. Lei, KF; Huang, CH; Kuo, RL; Chang CK; Chen, KF; Tsao KC; Tsang, NM. Paper-based enzyme-free immunoassay for rapid detection and subtyping of influenza A H1N1 and H3N2 viruses. Anal Chim Acta. 2015 Jul 9;883:37-44.
19. Wu SH, Chen KF, Chan YL. Severe hydrogen sulfide intoxication treated with therapeutic hypothermia. Am J Emerg Med. 2015 Sep;33(9):1327.e1-2.
20. Cheng CH, Chan PS, Hsieh YW, Chen KF. A meta-analysis of mismatch negativity in children with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorders. Neurosci Lett. 2016 Jan 26;612:132-7.
21. Hsu, CY; Liu, SH; Chao CH; Chan, YL; Tsai, TC; Chen, LM; Wu, CC; Chen, KF*. STROBE-compliant article: Blood Transfusions within the First 24 Hours of Hospitalization Did Not Impact Mortality Among Patients with Severe Sepsis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Jan;95(4):e2601.
22. Tsou YK, Lee MS, Chen KF, Lin CH, Sung KF, Wu CC. Double-balloon enteroscopy-assisted endoscopic retrograde cholangiography for Roux-en-Y reconstruction patients with papilla of Vater or bilioenteric anastomosis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan;51(1):95-102.
23. Chen KF, Chaou CH, Jiang JY, Yu HW, Meng YH, Tang WC, Wu CC*. Diagnostic Accuracy of Lipopolysaccharide-Binding Protein as Biomarker for Sepsis in Adult Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 7; 11(4):e0153188.
24. Li CJ*, Syue YJ, Lin YR, Cheng HH, Cheng FJ, Tsai TC, Chen KF*, Lee CH. Influence of CT utilisation on patient flow in the emergency department: a retrospective 1-year cohort study. BMJ Open. 2016 May 4; 6(5):e010815.
25. Chen CK, Lin SC, Wu CC, Chen LM, Tzeng IS, Chen KF*. STARD-compliant article: The utility of red cell distribution width to predict mortality for septic patients visiting the emergency department. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Jun; 95(24):e3692.
26. Liu SH, Chen KF, Chen CJ, Lin YH, Huang YC. Intermittent nasal carriage with Staphylococcus aureus within a menstrual cycle: Results from a prospective cohort of healthy carriers. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Jun; 95(26):e4040.
27. Tzeng IS, Liu SH, Chen KF, Wu CC, Chen JC*. Impact of performance grading on annual numbers of acute myocardial infarction-associated emergency department visits in Taiwan: Results of segmented regression analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Oct; 95(42):e4937.
28. Chen KF, Liu SH, Li CH, Wu CC, Chaou CH, Tzeng IS, Hsieh YH, Blaney GN, Liu ZY, Han ST*, Chan YL*. Development and validation of a parsimonious and pragmatic CHARM score to predict mortality in patients with suspected sepsis. Am J Emerg Med. 2016 Oct; S0735-6757 (16):30801-4.
29. Chou HL, Han ST, Yeh CF, Tzeng IS, Hsieh TH, Wu CC, Kuan JT, Chen KF*. Systemic inflammatory response syndrome is more associated with bacteremia in elderly patients with suspected sepsis in emergency departments. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Dec; 95(49):e5634.
30. Tzeng IS, Liu SH, Chiou YT, Huang CH, Lee CJ, Chien CY, Hsu SC, Weng YM, Chen KF*, Chen JC*. Predicting emergency departments visit rates from septicemia in Taiwan using an age-period-cohort model, 1998 to 2012. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Dec; 95(50):e5598.
31. Chao HY, Liu PH, Lin SC, Chen CK, Chen JC, Chan YL, Wu CC, Blaney GN, Liu ZY, Wu CJ, Chen KF*. Association of in-hospital mortality and dysglycemia in septic patients. PLOS ONE. 2017 Jan 20; 12(1):e0170408.
32. Chien CY, Chen YH, Han ST, Blaney GN., Huang TS, Chen KF*. The Number of Displaced Rib Fractures is More Predictive for Complications in Chest Trauma Patients. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine. 2017 Feb 28; 25(1):19.
33. Chiu CY, Chan YL, Tsai YS, Chen SA, Wang CJ, Chen KF, Chung IF. Airway Microbial Diversity is Inversely Associated with Mite-Sensitized Rhinitis and Asthma in Early Childhood. Sci Rep. 2017 May 12; 7(1):1820.
34. Chien CH, Chen LW, Lin CL, Chang SW, Shyu YC, Chen KF, Chen SW, Hu CC, Yu CY, Chien RN. Unawareness of Hepatitis B Virus Infection confers on Higher Rate of Metabolic Syndrome: A Community-based Study. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 29; 7(1):9869.
35. Wu CC, Lan HM, Han ST, Chaou CH, Yeh CF, Liu SH, Li CH, Blaney GN 3rd, Liu ZY, Chen KF*. Comparison of diagnostic accuracy in sepsis between presepsin, procalcitonin, and C-reactive protein: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intensive Care. 2017 Sep 6; 7(1):91.
36. Chan YL, Han ST, Li CH, Wu CC, Chen KF*. Transfusion of Red Blood Cells to Patients with Sepsis. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Sep 11; 18(9).
37. Cheng CT, Yeh CN, Chiang KC, Yeh TS, Chen KF, Chen SW. Effects of cholecystectomy on recurrent biliary complications after endoscopic treatment of common bile duct stone: a population-based cohort study. Surg Endosc. 2018 Apr; 32(4):1793-1801.
38. Weng YM, Ng CJ, Seak CJ, Chien CY, Chen KF, Lin JR, Chang CJ. One-year survival rate and healthcare costs after cardiac arrest in Taiwan, 2006-2012. PLoS One. 2018 May 1; 13(5):e0196687.
39. Yeh CF, Wu CC, Liu SH, Chen KF*. Comparison of the accuracy of neutrophil CD64, procalcitonin, and C-reactive protein for sepsis identification: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intensive Care. 2019 Jan 8; 9(1):5.
40. Chen KF, Tsai MY, Wu CC, Han ST. Effectiveness of Treatments and Diagnostic Tools and Declining Mortality in Patients With Severe Sepsis: A 12-Year Population-Based Cohort Study. J Intensive Care Med. 2019 Jan 30.
41. Lin CC, Wu CC, Chen CD, Chen KF*. Could we employ the queueing theory to improve efficiency during future mass causality incidents? Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2019 Apr 11; 27(1):41.
42. Sung CM, Lin YF, Chen KF, Ke HM, Huang HY, Gong YN, Tsai WS, Lu MJ, Cheng HT, Lin CY, Kuo CJ, Tsai IJ, Hsieh SY. Predicting Clinical Outcomes of Cirrhosis Patients With Hepatic Encephalopathy From the Fecal Microbiome. Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Apr 18. pii: S2352-345X(19)30047-5.
43. Wei YC, Chen KF, Wu CL, Lee TW, Liu CH, Shyu YC, Lin CP. Stroke Rate Increases Around the Time of Cancer Diagnosis. Frontiers in Neurology. 2019 June 07; 10:579.
44. Chien CY, Yan JL, Han ST, Chen JT, Huang TS, Chen YH, Wang CY, Lee YL, Chen KF*. Inferior Vena Cava Volume Is an Independent Predictor of Massive Transfusion in Patients With Trauma. J Intensive Care Med. 2019 Dec 13:885066619894556.
45. Gong YN, Tsao KC, Hsiao MJ, Huang CG, Huang PN, Huang PW, Lee KM, Liu YC, Yang SL, Kuo RL, Chen KF, Liu YC, Huang SY, Huang HI, Liu MT, Yang JR, Chiu CH, Yang CT, Chen GW, Shih SR. SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Surveillance in Taiwan Revealed Novel ORF8-deletion Mutant and Clade Possibly Associated With Infections in Middle East. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020 Jun 16:1-37.
46. Martinez-Sobrido L, Blanco-Lobo P, Rodriguez L, Fitzgerald T, Zhang H, Nguyen P, Anderson CS, Holden-Wiltse J, Bandyopadhyay S, Nogales A, DeDiego ML, Wasik BR, Miller BL, Henry C, Wilson PC, Sangster MY, Treanor JJ, Topham DJ, Byrd-Leotis L, Steinhauer DA, Cummings RD, Luczo JM, Tompkins SM, Sakamoto K, Jones CA, Steel J, Lowen AC, Danzy S, Tao H, Fink AL, Klein SL, Wohlgemuth N, Fenstermacher KJ, El Najjar F, Pekosz A, Sauer L, Lewis MK, Shaw-Saliba K, Rothman RE, Liu ZY, Chen KF, Parrish CR, Voorhees IEH, Kawaoka Y, Neumann G, Chiba S, Fan S, Hatta M, Kong H, Zhong G, Wang G, Uccellini MB, García-Sastre A, Perez DR, Ferreri LM, Herfst S, Richard M, Fouchier R, Burke D, Pattinson D, Smith DJ, Meliopoulos V, Freiden P, Livingston B, Sharp B, Cherry S, Dib JC, Yang G, Russell CJ, Barman S, Webby RJ, Krauss S, Danner A, Woodard K, Peiris M, Perera RAPM, Chan MCW, Govorkova EA, Marathe BM, Pascua PNQ, Smith G, Li YT, Thomas PG, Schultz-Cherry S. Characterizing Emerging Canine H3 Influenza Viruses. PLoS Pathog. 2020 Apr 14;16(4):e1008409.